Self Care Strategies Just For You
It’s so easy for us to forget to take good care of ourselves or just plain care of ourselves with all the responsibilities we undertake in life. Mothers tend to suffer the most when it comes to this as they have so many caregiving responsibilities. Self-care is vital to stress management.
When we are already physically and emotionally exhausted we aren’t able to handle all the stresses that come our way. We are more likely to bounce back from these stresses when we are feeling our best both emotionally and physically. Pampering ourselves by taking a bubble bath, indulging in a massage, getting a manicure or pedicure, and any number of other self-care routines revitalizes us inside and out. This triggers what’s known as the relaxation response which keeps chronic stress from damaging our overall physical health.
When you take the time to care for yourself it sets an example for others to follow suit and care for you as well and themselves. This is such an important gift for a mother to bestow upon her young ones so that they grow up and keep the cycle going strong. Caring for ourselves also gives us a feeling of self-worth, self-love, and a feeling of wellbeing radiating within. This makes you a better caregiver because when you nurture yourself you feel happy and you have high self-esteem creating a desire to nurture others.
- Get enough sleep- set aside time to get the required amount.
- Be sure to focus on the importance of healthy meals- create menus that ensure you are getting the required daily allowance of food groups/nutrients.
- Make time for friends and family
- Design a healthy balance of time to relax
- Having a spa experience in our homes in which you can reflect and soothe your body, mind, and soul- spending a few hours in your home spa is an excellent way to manage your stress- it removes you from reality sending you on an emotional, physical, and mental vacation- when you return from your vacation you are refreshed and invigorated ready to face whatever it is stressing you out *It is important to note here that it is important for everyone to have alone time no matter how much of introvert or extrovert you are
Alone time helps us to experience quiet which helps us to meditate and meditation helps us to work on our problems in quiet gentle concentration. This concentration does not require us to focus with no calm in sight,
It may seem so simple to remember self-care but it’s not because life seems to take over and make it hard to remember. However, once we decide to focus on self-care once again we can easily employ these strategies and believe me they work.
- Take a Bath: Whip out the bubbles, oils, and scented soaps, and soak until you’re all wrinkled up like a prune.
- Deep-Condition Your Hair: While you’re in the tub, put on a deep-conditioning treatment for your hair, and let it work as you relax. Take this time to read a good book or meditate. My favorite thing to do here is color mandalas with a new set of colored pencils!
- Deep-Clean Your Pores: With a nice clay masque, you can draw impurities out of your skin and the stress out of your system plus you get to scare your family when you reappear from applying it in the bathroom
- Care For Your Feet: After you soak your feet to soften calloused skin, use a pumice stone to slough off dead skin, and finish with rich foot cream, and perhaps polish (You’ve just got to check out this toxin-free vegan cruelty-free nail polish!)
- Nourish Your Skin: Rich, luxurious creams smell wonderful and feel smooth, especially if you exfoliate your skin in the tub before putting them on.
- Tend to Your Nails: Correct the beating your nails probably take from your busy life (especially for those of you who bite your nails!) by filing and buffing. A coat of polish on can make you feel like a princess for days afterward. (Nothing makes you feel so thoroughly beautiful as completing your beauty ensemble as well cared for polished fingernails and toenails! Come on girls- admit it- you know I’m right!
- Get a Massage: This one can be especially nice. If your budget doesn’t allow for regular massages with a professional, see if you can trade with a friend or your spouse, or use an electronic massager. I purchased this one for my husband at Christmas time and we’ve been trading massages and I just can’t tell you how wonderful this is for erasing all the stresses you bring home with you after a hectic day out with the kids running errands!
- Develop a Regular Sleep Routine: I can’t stress the importance of this one! This one thing literally determines how you see the day. Being well-rested helps us to have a positive attitude with our cup half full disposition ready and able to take on the day and any stresses that come your way.
- Aim For a Healthy Diet: This one is pretty self-explanatory. The better we eat, the healthier we are in every way. The healthier we are, the easier it is to face down stressful situations.
- Take Lunch Breaks: This is so important because it gives us a reprieve from the stresses that the day throws at us. We don’t feel overwhelmed without a break. I like to listen to read a book during lunch. It gives me a little time to myself and offers an escape from reality if even just for a little while. My favorite book I’m reading right now is actually a series- it’s Outlander by Diana Gabaldon. I’m actually re-reading it because I absolutely loved it that much! These books will change you and stick with you forever.
- Go For a Walk At Lunchtime: Take a break. Breathe in some fresh air and listen to music for an escape from your reality.
- Take Your Dog For a Walk After Work: Do this and together you and your special one/s can escape the brutality of the day. Get lost in each other’s company. I found this harness that I absolutely love for our bigger dog and this doggy stroller for our little doggy who can alternate between walking and resting as needed given her legs are no match for ours. She loves the stroller so much because she is able to see out of it as she rests and we love it because it has a zipperless front entry- those darn zippers seem to stop working just as you need them to zip the most!
- Use Your Sick Leave: You have the days to use- make sure you use them especially when life seems to be whipping you around it’s worst. Take this time to have a mini spa day, catch up on your rest (with this cozy blanket made for naps on the sofa or on top of your already made up bed), watch a feel-good movie (one of my favorites is Peaceful Warrior) with popcorn and candy because sometimes we just need to splurge!
A Little Bit About Me